São Fernando Fort

  • São Fernando Fort
  • São Fernando Fort
  • São Fernando Fort
  • Photos
  • Location

The São Fernando Fort, in Santa Cruz, was built in the 18th century in order to observe and protect the coast.
Situated above the beach of Santa Cruz, the São Fernando Fort was built in the 18th century and was used for observation and coastal defense and was restored by Paulo Dias de Almeida during the Liberal Wars.
The name São Fernando indicates an ancient chapel that existed in the area, which gave its name to the place but no longer existed by 1820. On the other side, at that time, the guardhouse was up against another old chapel, also no longer existing, dedicated to St. Lazarus.

São Fernando Fort

São Fernando Fort
Price: Free Entrance
Contacts
Santa Cruz, 9100-105 Santa Cruz
Check the time tables
SAM
Bus Line - 20,23,53,113,156
Add your trip Back
Share
Youtube Flicker RSS ISSUU
Madeira Islands World´s Leading Island Destination 2020 - WTA Award SRTC Região Autónoma da Madeira