Penha de França Chapel
The small Our Lady of Penha de França chapel was built in Ilhéus by António Dantas in 1622, rebuilt in 1712 and enlarged shortly after 1880.
The chapel is one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the region, featuring finely detailed decoration on the main entrance and a raised pulpit next to the triumphal arch. The chapel is constructed with soft and rigid masonry, regional stonework and wood (such as oak), and decorated with mixed wooden and iron beams, gilded and painted woodwork, painting on canvas and tiles. The central nave features a high chancel set in the surrounding walls, with turned wooden balustrades resting on painted entablature.
The rounded central triumphal arch surmounted by royal arms is set in a corrugated gable end and the main chapel features a painted altarpiece marbled and with suggestions of gilded woodwork and a stucco ceiling with painted cornices and drapery.